What is a soda maker and what are the types of soda machines in 2022?
What is a soda maker and what are the types of soda machines in 2022?
Soda, or what we commonly called as "soft drink", has long been a popular beverage among people of all ages. It is refreshing and comes in many different flavors to cater to different taste buds. In the old days, we used to buy soft drinks outside, but now, we have soda makers for soda lovers who can make customized drinks themselves. There are different types of soda machines available in the market, and each type has unique features.
What is a Soda Maker?
Soda makers are known as seltzer makers or sparkling water makers. A seltzer maker is a device used to make carbonated bubble drinks. The basic principle is under pressure, allowing the CO2 to be released into the drink. You can make sparkling water or flavored carbonated beverages when you have a soda machine.
Types of Soda Makers
Soda Machine + Standard CO2 Gas Cylinder
The most common one is using the gas cylinder. First, load the CO2 cylinder to the back of the machine, fill the bottle with purified water, and press the button to carbonate. When the old cylinder is empty, it needs to be replaced.
- Versatile(the machine can carbonate wine, beer, etc.)
- Some machines support infusing flavors or fruit directly into the bottle for carbonation
- Sleek design, light-weight, durable
- Buy gas cylinders separately
Soda Maker + CO2 Cartridges
This is a handheld type of soda maker. Pour some water into the bottle, but not exceed two-thirds of the bottle, then put back the exhaust pipe, put a CO2 cartridge in the chamber of the bottle lid, and the CO2 will be injected into the water automatically while tightening the cap. When the gas injection is complete, shake well and press the valve to spray carbonated water.
- Does not use any electricity or batteries
- Compact size, portable and durable
- Specialized bottle lid with a pressure control valve
- The lid tends to let out some of the gas after a tight screw
- Used in a particular way to get the right amount of fizz
- Might be a little challenging to install the lid for some people
Seltzer Maker + Carbonator
This type of seltzer maker is popular in the market, and some people think this is the best soda maker. Why? The machine is electric, and the magic is the carbonator, which means there is no CO2 tank needed. It is fine to put water, fruit, tea, herbs or wine into the reusable bottle, then add a new package of carbonator to the chamber of the top lid. Select five levels of carbonation(one is the weakest and five are the strongest), and it takes only a few seconds, you can enjoy the delicious drink. Every time you make a fresh carbonated beverage, you will use a new package, and each package generates the right amount of carbon dioxide to sparkle one bottom of the water.
- Multiple color options
- Suitable for home and office
- It is easy to use, and you can control the carbonation levels
- Carbonator is convenient, no need to use CO2 cylinders anymore
- The machine can carbonate water, fruit tea, wine, etc.
- It may not be easy to carry around
Portable Sparking Water Maker
The compact carbonated water machine is suitable for carrying anywhere, such as when you go to a picnic, yoga, or hiking. It is not heavy and looks like an ordinary bottle. The method is simple, pouring pure water into the bottle, then inserting the mini gas cylinder into the notch, tightening the lid, and the last step, twisting the lid. The gas will be injected into the water.
- Easy to use and no power needed
- Compact size
- Carry anywhere, beach, office, picnic, etc.
- The bottle can only carbonate water. It can't add ice cubes or syrups to the bottle.
- We cannot put the bottle in the refrigerator to freeze.
Photo Credit: OTE
How to Pick Your Soda Maker?
There's nothing quite like a cold soda on a hot summer day. Suppose we can make soda at home, how glad we would be because we can enjoy soda at any time. But with so many different soda makers on the market, they come in various styles. How do we choose the right one? Perhaps ask yourself the following questions:
- What kind of drink would you like to make? A simple countertop unit or a handheld model will suffice if you're only interested in carbonating water. However, suppose you want to experiment with different flavors. In that case, you'll need a more sophisticated machine that allows you to control carbonation levels and add ingredients like fruits and syrups.
- How much space do you have in your kitchen? Some soda makers are larger than others, so you'll need to make enough room to store them.
- What features do you want with your soda machine? Do you like to use the electric one? What color do you want? Do you want to use the CO2 gas cylinder or the carbonator? How important is portability to you? Decide which features are must-haves and which ones you can live without.
- How easy is the machine to use? Do you like the device that can make carbonate water as long as you press the button? Or there is another soda maker with some small parts you need to install.
- What is your budget? Soda makers can range in price from around $40 to over $250. Pick one that fits your needs and your wallet.
When you consider all the different factors, you'll be able to narrow down your choices and find the perfect machine for your needs.
Suggestion: Recipes with Sparking Water
There are two methods for you to home-make the drinks due to your type of soda machine. If your device supports adding tea, wine, ice, fruit, or syrups to the bottle, then you can put all of these ingredients to the bottle and then carbonate it. However, if your machine can only carbonate water, you can put the ingredients in a glass, then pour carbonated water to make the drink.
Orange and Strawberry Soda
Prepare one bottle of carbonated water, a slice of orange, five pieces of strawberries, two mint leaves, and some nugget ice cubes. Put all these ingredients together, stirring them to combine the flavors, and serve in a glass.
Grape and Apple Soda
Add 200 grams of crushed grapes, two small pieces of apples, and two tablespoons of sugar water to the cup, then top with sparkling water.
Put 3 to 4 tablespoons ginger syrup, two tablespoons lemon juice, a slice of lemon, two mint leaves, and some ice cubes to a glass, then pour soda to fill up the glass.
Iced Tea Soda
Fill your glass with ice cubes, pour in about 1/4 cup of tea syrup, add soda water, and leave some room to stir the drink.
Now, you know what a soda maker is. As mentioned above, there are a wide variety of soda machines on the market to choose from. Some only can carbonated water, while others allow you to add tea, ice, fruit, or syrups to the bottle. You should pick your soda maker according to your needs, considering its function, size, feature, levels of difficulty when operating, and budget. With the right soda maker, you can enjoy delicious and refreshing drinks at home with ease.
- 2022, best soda maker, bubble, carbon dioxide, carbonate, carbonate water, carbonation, carbonation level, carbonator, cartridge, co2, co2 cartridge, co2 cylinder, co2 gas, co2 tank, cylinder, fizz, soda, soda machine, soda maker, soda maker on the market, sparkling water, sparkling water maker